Sixty-Five Incorporated

Unbiased Medicare Help: (262) 223-3433


What happens if a veteran needs medical care on vacation?

I am a disabled veteran, enrolled in both parts of Medicare. I plan to visit my children in California. What happens if I need medical care while on vacation?

As a veteran, if you need emergency care, you can go to either a Veteran Affair’s (VA) facility or a Medicare hospital.  

For routine or non-emergency care, the VA facility would be the better option, but you would be subject to VA prioritization requirements. Because you have Medicare, Parts A and B, you could also go to a Medicare-certified hospital or clinic. However, you would be responsible for 20% of the outpatient or physician bills and, for hospitalizations, the deductible (which is $1,288 in 2016).

Last updated: 12-30-2015