What information & documents do you need to enroll in Medicare?
According to the Social Security website, here are the documents you may need when enrolling in Medicare only:
- Your birth certificate or other proof of birth
- Proof of United States citizenship or legal residency if not born in the US
- Your Social Security card if you are already receiving benefits
- Health insurance information about the type and dates of coverage
- Information about your employment, such as a W-2 form, if you are still working
- US military discharge papers if you served before 1968
If you sign up for Medicare online or by phone, you may need to submit additional information. Social Security will let you know if you need to do this and what that information might be.