Sixty-Five Incorporated

Unbiased Medicare Help: (262) 223-3433


I threw out my Medicare card

I turn 65 in two weeks. I called to enroll in a drug plan and the agent asked for my Medicare number. He said because I am on Social Security, I should have received my Medicare card by now. Is that true? I am getting so much Medicare stuff in the mail, maybe I threw it out. What should I do now?

Yes, the agent was correct. Those who are receiving Social Security benefits when they turn 65 will be enrolled in Medicare automatically. The Medicare card usually arrives early in the Initial Enrollment Period. 

This is not the first time we have heard about a “missing” Medicare card. It comes in a relatively nondescript envelope so it is easy to toss it along with all the other mailings on Medicare plans.  

There are two ways to replace the lost card.  

  • Call Social Security at (800) 772-1213 between 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM Monday through Friday. Tell the agent you are receiving  Social Security benefits, will turn 65 this month, and have not received your Medicare card. Social Security will process a replacement card for you. 
  • Go online at Either create a my SocialSecurity account or sign in to an existing one. Once logged in, select the "Replacement Documents" tab and "Mail my replacement Medicare card." Within 30 days, the replacement card should arrive at the address listed in the account.

Note to all those turning 65 in the next few months:

  • If you are already receiving Social Security benefits, your card will arrive automatically. Check carefully through the stack of Medicare information you are getting in the mail. Pay attention to any envelopes from the Social Security Administration or the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.  
  • If you are not receiving benefits, you won't receive a card until you take steps to enroll in Medicare. 
Last updated: 08-18-2020